Social services means a lot of different things to different people. It includes ‘adult social care’, which is the support provided to adults with physical or learning disabilities, or physical or mental illnesses. There are ‘Family Social Workers’ who support individuals and their families through difficult times and ensure that vulnerable people, including children and adults, are safeguarded from harm. This could look like mental health support for your child or support with your child’s Special Educational Needs & Disability (SEND). ‘Child welfare social workers’ exist to support your family to make sure your children are safe from harm.

Listen to a Traveller Social Worker talk about what social workers do:

What does a social worker do...

Adult Social Care:

Adult social care is the care and support for adults who need extra help to manage their lives and be independent – including older people, people with a disability or long-term illness, people with mental health problems, and carers. Adult social care includes assessment of your needs, provision of services or allocation of funds to enable you to purchase your own care and support. It includes residential care, home care, personal assistants, day services, the provision of aids and adaptations and personal budgets.

Family Social Worker’s:

Many children, at some time, will have special educational needs of some kind. If your child struggles at school, they may have special educational needs or disabilities (SEND). SEND is a term used to describe learning difficulties or disabilities that make it harder for a child to learn compared to children of the same age. If you need support with your child’s education, we have an education website and education caseworker who may be able to help. Learn more about the website here:

The TM Education Website

Child Welfare Social Workers:

While most parents want to do what is best for their families, they cannot always do it alone. Child welfare social workers specialise in building upon the strengths within a family and their community to help provide a safe and loving environment for their children. However, in some instances, social workers must intervene to protect children from harm. On this website, we will focus on this and answer the common questions we hear from the women we support.

Family Rights Group answers your questions

Who is Family Rights Group?

My partner has told me the children will be taken if I report the abuse. Is this true?

A social worker has contacted me about domestic abuse - what can I do?

Could my children be removed from me?

If my partner promises not to be abusive, can I let him back into the home?

I can't read or write, what support can I get?

Listen to a Traveller Social Worker

Click on the question below to hear a Traveller social worker’s response:

Can a social worker remove a child from the home for no reason?

What are the reasons for social worker involvement?

Can a social worker help me and my family?

When can a child be removed from the home?

Can I get an advocate?

Does domestic abuse affect my children?

What does a child protection plan look like?

Top Tips: How to work with a social worker

Want to know the best way to work with a social worker? Watch this video to see what a good and bad scenario can look like:

Can a Family Member Mind My Children?

If you are experiencing domestic abuse and worry about your children’s safety, would you like a family member to support you by minding the children? This is called kinship care.

School boy crying

Stop Shaming!

Over the past few years, we have seen many online ‘Traveller shame pages’ and ‘Gypsy shame pages’ that aim to publicly humiliate other members of their own community. We are finding support services and educating them on the issues of shame, scandal and discrimination.